The Skills2Compete-Indiana Coalition seeks to raise awareness of the need to train Indiana residents for middle-skill jobs, which make up the largest portion of Indiana's labor market, and advance policies to help more Hoosiers access education and training for these jobs.
Click here to contact Indiana Institute for Working Families, a program of Indiana Community Action Association, and convening organization of the Skills2Compete – Indiana Coalition. The Coalition is co-chaired by State Senator Dennis Kruse (District 14).
Central Indiana Community Action Program
Ivy Tech Community College
Labor Institute for Training
Local Initiatives Support Corporation
State Representative Bill Davis (District- 33)
State Representative John Bartlett (District-95)
State Senator Karen Tallian (District-4)
Thomas P. Miller and Associates
Released Two-Year State Policy Platform and held press conference at the State’s Capitol on December 4, 2012. Platform includes recommendations for expanding financial aid for part-time students and implementing cross-agency credential measurement policy.
Advocated for passage of Senate Resolution 85 which calls on Indiana's State Workforce Investment Board, Division of Adult Education, and Office of Career and Technical Education to assess industry-recognized standards for middle-skill industry clusters to ensure that education and training programs in the state meet these standards.
In April 2011, helped advance Senate Resolution 85 requiring the State Workforce Investment Board, Division of Adult Education, and Office of Career and Technical Education to assess industry-recognized standards for middle-skill industry clusters to ensure that education and training programs meet these standards. With several co-sponsors, the Resolution was unanimously passed by the Senate Education and Career Development Committee and passage by the full Senate is expected. Read more.
In December 2010, released a new policy platform with recommendations for moving the Indiana closer towards realizing its full economic potential and addressing the realities of the 21st-Century economy and workforce.
With National Skills Coalition, released Indiana’s Forgotten Middle-Skill Jobs in October 2010, generating widespread media coverage.
Publications and Resources
2013-2014 State Policy Platform
Skills2Compete – Indiana Coalition, November 2012
Indiana's Forgotten Middle-Skill Jobs: 2013
National Skills Coalition, Skills2Compete-Indiana
Indiana's Forgotten Middle-Skill Jobs
National Skills Coalition and Indiana Institute for Working Families
Listen to audio clips from a press conference about the release of Indiana's Forgotten Middle-Skill Jobs report.
- Introduction and Report Overview | Andrea Ray, Regional Field Director, National Skills Coalition
- Campaign Lead | Sarah Downing, Research & Policy Analyst, Indiana Institute for Working Families, a program of Indiana Community Action Association
- Employer Perspective | Jennifer Olson, Coordinator, Employee Education and Development, The Learning Alliance, Clarian Health Partners
- Need growing for workers in ‘middle skills’ jobs | Indianapolis Recorder, 09.25.20
- Middle-Skill Level Job Openings Set To Increase Exponentially In Next Ten Years | WFHB, 09.24.2013
- Mid-level skills lacking | The Journal Gazette, 09.24.2013
- Report finds growing 'middle-skills' gap | Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, 09.23.2013
- Ind. coalition pushes adult job skills training | Bloomberg Businessweek, 09.23.2013
- High Demand Jobs, No College Degree Needed | Indiana News Center Now, 09.23.2013
- Gap Growing in 'Middle-Skill' Jobs | Inside Indiana Business, 09.23.2013
- Thousands of Available Local Jobs Middle Skill Jobs, No Applicants | Fort Wayne Homepage, 09.23.2013
- Need for middle skill workers touted | Wane.com, 09.23.2013
- Coalition pushes for more ‘middle-skill’ worker training | Indiana Public Media, 12.01.2012
- Tallian seeks to expand opportunities for adult learners | NWI Times, 12.04.2012
- Indiana state senator to offer 'truth in education' bill | Courier Press, 12.04.2012
- Coalition Looks to Help "Middle Skilled" Workers Find Jobs | WIBC, 12.04.2012 (audio included)
- WFYI Podcast (Aired during 7:30 am newscast, Wednesday, December 05, 2012, segment starts at 45 Seconds)
- Indiana Senators Recognize Importance of Middle-Skill Jobs | Press Release April 25, 2011
- Skill Set | Build Indiana Magazine, January-February 2011
- Skilled labor hard to find | The Journal Gazette, 01.16.2011
- Middle-skill jobs make up 55 percent of Indiana's workforce | Fort Wayne News Sentinel, 11.12.2010
- Middle-skill jobs: Made in Indiana | The Star Press, 11.09.2010
- Indiana's middle-skill manufacturing jobs - not gone, not forgotten | Conexus Indiana, 10.21.2010
- White House Official to Speak in NW Indiana | Inside Indiana Business, 10.13.2010
- Jobs projected for Ind. in 'middle-skills' | Associated Press, 10.07.2010 (reprinted in Ball State University Daily News, Canadian Business Online, Chicago Tribune, CNBC, Evansville Courier & Press, Forbes.com, Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, Fox 59, Indianapolis Business Journal, Indianapolis Star, MSN, Northwest Indiana Times, The Republic, Washington Examiner, and WNDU)
- Nearly half a million “middle skill” jobs to open in Indiana over next six years | PR Newswire, 10.07.2010 (reprinted in Bradenton Herald, Building Indiana Blog, Centre Daily News, Digital Journal, Earth Times, Herald Online, iStockAnalyst, Kansas City Star, News Blaze, Reliable Plant, Sacramento Bee, Sun Herald, Terre Haute Tribune Star, U.S. Politics Today, WorkOne, and Yahoo)
- Indiana faces work force void | Inside Indiana Business, 10.07.2010
- Indiana to see growth in ‘middle skill’ jobs | Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly, 10.07.2010
- Nearly half a million “middle skill” jobs to open in Indiana over next six years | PR Newswire, 10.07.2010 (reprinted in Bradenton Herald, Building Indiana Blog, Centre Daily News, Digital Journal, Earth Times, Herald Online, iStockAnalyst, Kansas City Star, News Blaze, Reliable Plant, Sun Herald, U.S. Politics Today, and Yahoo)