National Skills Coalition's Webinar Series includes national webinar briefings on state and federal policy led by our staff and allies. You can view the presentations by following the links below. To ensure you receive invitations to these updates, which include live Q&A with national experts, sign up for our member mailing list.
The Webinar Series is made possible by the generosity of our foundation partners, our organizational Supporting Members, and individual donors. To become a Supporting Member organization, click here. To become a donor, click here.
A Skills Strategy within Comprehensive Immigration Reform
July 29, 2013
NSC is joined by national experts in immigrant integration, adult education and workforce development for a conversation about the vital importance of an integrated, comprehensive skills strategy within comprehensive immigration reform (CIR), and the need to make substantial new investments in adult education and occupational skills training for immigrants and citizens alike. View NSC's recent report, Comprehensive Immigration Reform: A Proposal for a Skills Strategy that Supports Economic Growth and Opportunity, which was a driver of this conversation and to which many of the panelists contributed their expertise. You can also view the presentation slides and bios for each of the speakers.
State Workforce Policy Round Up
June 25, 2013
NSC's State Policy Team is joined in this webinar by workforce experts in Virginia, Maryland and Iowa to provide an update and overview of workforce policies proposed in 2013 legislative sessions. This discussion brings greater attention to the on-going efforts in several state legislatures (despite federal funding cuts) to advance workforce policy reforms, including sector strategies and career pathway initiatives.
• Senator Katherine Klausmeier, District 8, Baltimore County, Maryland
• Elizabeth Creamer, Director of Education and Workforce Development, Office of Governor Bob McDonnell, Richmond, Virginia
• Sarah Gray Ramsey, Public Policy Director, United Way of Central Iowa, Des Moines, Iowa.
Federal Policy Webinar Update
April 18, 2013
Following the release of President Obama's 2014 federal budget proposal, NSC's Federal Policy Team hosted this webinar update covering what happened with workforce development funding in the Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 continuing resolution, 2014 budget proposals offered by the President and Congress and how those proposals may impact planned sequestration cuts. To learn more, you can access the PowerPoint slides, view NSC's 2014 budget analysis, and watch the full webinar presentation (fill out the registration form to view the recording).
Federal Policy Webinar Update
January 23, 2013
In NSC’s first ever webinar, Federal Policy Director Rachel Gragg covers what’s at stake in the upcoming sequestration, debt ceiling and federal budget debates and the potential implications for workforce funding. She also provides a preview of some of the other legislative items on the 113th Congress’s agenda. To learn more, you can access the PowerPoint slides and view the full webinar presentation (fill out the registration form to view the recording).
The Role of State Sector Strategies
September 25, 2012
Listen as NSC's state policy team and the National Governor's Association (NGA) discuss the role of state sector strategies with experts from the field who have championed these efforts. The direction of the call is driven by the forthcoming paper, State Sector Strategies Coming of Age: Implications for State Workforce Policy Makers, co-authored by NSC, NGA and Corporation for a Skilled Workforce. To learn more about sector strategies you can access the handout with additional information, and the abstract of the paper and the recording of the call below.
- Overview of Sector Strategies and Background on NGA's Work| Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition; Martin Simon, National Governors Associaiton
- Discussion on Involvement of Corporation for a Skilled Workforce with Sectors | Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition; Larry Good, Corporation for a Skilled Workforce
- The History and Successes of Sector Strategies in Washington State | Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition; Eleni Papadakis, Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
- The Recent Adoption of Sector Strategies into Arizona State Plan | Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition; Sheila Shedd, Governor's Council on Workforce Policy at the Arizona Commerce Authority
State Legislators' Roundtable: Advancing Workforce Reforms in the States
April 26, 2012
Listen as NSC's state policy team and National Conference of State Legislatures discuss workforce policy reforms in the states with state legislators and skills champions Representative Tim Probst (WA), Senator Mike Brubaker (PA), and Delegate Keiffer Mitchell (MD). You can access a handout with information on the legislators' workforce policy efforts and learn more about advancing policy reforms in your state by listening to the following segments:
- Overview of NSC and NCSL and Interview with Rep. Probst | Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition; Rochelle Finzel, National Conference of State Legislatures
- Senator Brubaker on Industry Partnerships and Policy Reform | Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition
- Delegate Mitchell Interview and Final Advice from Legislators | Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition
Fiscal Year 2013 Audio Update
February 22, 2012
Listen as NSC’s federal policy team discusses the Obama Administration’s Fiscal Year 2013 budget request and explores its implications for our nation’s workforce development system. You can follow along with the Podcast PowerPoint while listening to the following segments:
- Overview of the Budget and Appropriations Process | Rachel Gragg, National Skills Coalition
- Overview of the Education and Training Components Included in the President's FY 2013 Budget Request | Kermit Kaleba, National Skills Coalition
- What Comes Next in the Appropriations Process | Rachel Gragg, National Skills Coalition
Federal Policy End of Session Wrap-up
December 15, 2011
Listen as NSC’s federal policy team recaps the trials and triumphs for workforce advocates in one of the most difficult political environments in recent memory, and discusses the flurry of year-end congressional activity that is likely to have significant impact on our nation's workforce development system in 2012. Listen to the following segments:
- FY 2012 Appropriations Overview | Rachel Gragg, National Skills Coalition
- Update on FY 2012 Funding for DOL and Pell Grant Programs, UI/Payroll Tax “Extenders” Bill | Rachel Gragg and Kermit Kaleba, National Skills Coalition
- Overview of Recent Job Training Consolidation Proposals | Kermit Kaleba
Counting on Credentials: Approaches to State Credential Measurement Policy
November 18, 2011
Every state makes human capital investments in a range of education, training and workforce development programs, but do states know if the full range of their investments is producing desired results? Listen as NSC partners from Maryland, Rhode Island, and Minnesota discuss their how their states are developing or implementing credential measurement policies, and how a cross-agency approach helps align systems and agencies to determine if a state’s skill and credential outcomes address labor market demand.
- Introduction | Jessie Hogg Leslie and Eric Seleznow, National Skills Coalition
- Maryland | Paulette Francois, Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- Rhode Island | Linda Katz, The Poverty Institute
- Minnesota | Bryan Lindsley, Minnesota Governor’s Workforce Development Council
Federal Funding Update—Fiscal Year 2012 (and Beyond)
September 13, 2011
Listen as National Skills Coalition's Federal Policy Team discusses what was included (and not included) in the Budget Control Act of 2011, the timeline for the newly-created Super Congress, and how this measure could affect federal funding for job training during the Fiscal Year 2012 appropriations cycle and throughout the next decade. Also learn about the training provisions included in President Obama's American Jobs Act. Listen to the following segments:
- Overview and Brief Update of the Federal Budget Situation | Rachel Gragg, National Skills Coalition
- Overview and Analysis of the Budget Control Act of 2011 | Kermit Kaleba, National Skills Coalition
- Overview of Job Training Provisions Included in the American Jobs Act | Rachel Gragg
Moving Fiscal and Political Mountains: Advancing Workforce Legislative Reforms in the States
June 28, 2011
Listen as National Skills Coalition partners from Massachusetts, Iowa, Indiana and Oregon discuss their efforts to pass significant workforce policy legislation to help their state prepare more workers for middle-skill jobs. They discuss how their multi-stakeholder coalitions developed, introduced and advocated for new bills, resolutions and/or funding despite challenging political and fiscal environments. Learn successful strategies for organizing stakeholders to get a bill moving, identifying champions and supporters, and developing advocacy plans to advance innovative state policy reforms.
- Massachusetts | Loh-Sze Leung, SkillWorks
- Indiana | Jessica Fraser, Indiana Institute for Working Families
- Iowa | Steve Ovel, Kirkwood Community College
- Oregon | Agnes Balassa, Oregon Workforce Partnership
- Wrap-Up | Eric Seleznow and Jessie Hogg Leslie, National Skills Coalition
Closing Out the FY 2011 Budget Process and Looking Ahead to the FY 2012 Budget Fight
May 5, 2011
Listen as National Skills Coalition's Federal Policy Team provides overview and analysis of the recently-passed FY 2011 continuing resolution (CR), as well as the latest news on the FY 2012 budget debate—what is being proposed by Congress and the Administration and how the workforce community can weigh in on the conversation. Download NSC's FY 2011 CR summary and funding chart, our analysis of the FY 2012 House-passed budget resolution, and listen to the following segments:
- Context of the Budget Conversations in DC| Rachel Gragg, National Skills Coalition
- Overview of the Final FY 2011 Continuing Resolution and the House-passed FY 2012 Budget Resolution| Kermit Kaleba, National Skills Coalition
- Next Steps in the FY 2012 Budget Debate| Rachel Gragg
Fiscal Year 2011, 2012 Budget and Appropriations for Workforce Programs
February 28, 2011
Listen as National Skills Coalition's Federal Policy Team provides overview and analysis of the Fiscal Year 2011 appropriations process—including the latest on the Continuing Resolution—and President Obama's Fiscal Year 2012 budget proposal for workforce programs under the Departments of Labor and Education. Download NSC's Fiscal Year 2012 budget analysis and budget chart, and listen to the following segments:
- FY 2011 Appropriations Overview| Rachel Gragg, National Skills Coalition
- FY 2011 Continuing Resolution Update| Rachel Gragg
- President Obama’s FY 2012 Budget Proposal – Department of Labor Overview | Kermit Kaleba, National Skills Coalition
- President Obama’s FY 2012 Budget Proposal – Department of Education Overview| Kermit Kaleba